My Story

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Productive Anxiety

I don't think of anxiety as a disease. Physical, yes, but not a disease that happens to you. The Lord allowed anxiety in my life to show that He is the only one that has the power to control my little world. He allowed anxiety to drive me to my knees. Now I think of anxiety this way:

Instead of a disease that happens to you, anxiety is a signal for you to pray. 

What other signals do I listen to in life?
- when I feel the signal of hunger, I eat.
- when I am thirsty, I drink.
- my body signals when I need to use the bathroom.
- my phone signals when someone wants to talk to me.
- my car signals when it needs maintenance.

What if anxiety were the signal that we need to pray? 

Instead of waiting for anxiety to go away, we could embrace each moment as an opportunity to turn to the Lord and "cast all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you." (1Pet 5:7) Anxiety that leads to prayer becomes productive instead of inefficient and draining. By thinking of anxiety as a signal, rather than a disease, I set myself up for success instead of feeling overwhelmed when the all too familiar symptoms appear.

How does thinking about anxiety as a signal change your perspective?




No comments:

Post a Comment