My Story

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Psalm 26

"Prove me, O Lord, and try me;
Test my heart and my mind. 
For your steadfast love is before my eyes, 
and I walk in your faithfulness."
-Psalm 26:2-3

Psalm 26 talks about a person who is doing everything right. He had the courage and confidence to ask the Lord to test and challenge him to discover where sin remained. He was able to ask the Lord for this test because he was confident in the Lord's love. 

We can focus our eyes on many things in life, but this man was choosing to put God's love before his eyes. He was choosing to walk in God's faithfulness. The picture here is active, not passive. 

If we want to see change and become more like Christ, we need to do two things based on this scripture. 
1) Keep God's love and faithfulness at the forefront on our mind. Feast on God's love. Step out in faithfulness. Follow God's Word. Do not allow anything else to distract us from following God.
2) Ask God, in his faithfulness, to expose areas that need change. Coming before God in full confidence of his love for us allows us to ask him to prove us, try our thoughts, and test our heart and mind. 
The first step is necessary in order to have the confidence to honestly and safely open our hearts and expose sin. 

Father God, today I pray that your love and faithfulness would overwhelm me and allow me to open my heart for you to change me. Test me and show me where I need to let your love penetrate more fully. Your gospel and your Spirit are the instruments of change in my life. Your power is made perfect in my weakness. Help me to trust you more and allow your power to change me. Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment