My Story

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Perfection

Perfection: (noun)
1. the state or quality of being or becoming perfect.
2. the highest degree of proficiency, skill, or excellence, as in some art.
3. a perfect embodiment or example of something.
4. a quality, trait, or feature of the highest degree of excellence.
5 .the highest or most nearly perfect degree of a quality or trait.
6. the act or fact of perfecting.

What feeling does this definition elicit? For me, irony and discomfort.

Discomfort because I want perfection. I think of myself as able to acquire perfection. I want to be able to do everything I put my hand to well. Do you know what that makes me? A perfectionist. 

And you know what is ironic? I want such a perfect life that I'm missing out on my real life as a result. 

Here's an example. I want to start a blog. First, I start four; testing out different names and feeling bad because I can't make them as pretty (read: perfect) as I would like. I post nothing on each, discarding them all. If I accept that they won't be perfect and simply start writing, I could put my thoughts out there and worry about how they look later. At least I would be experiencing life and moving toward my goal as a result. 

On a deeper level, perfectionism shows my pride. I want people to think well of me. My blog, if I can start it, is a portrayal of who I am. Therefore it must be perfect because I am perfect (ha!). 

I'm learning some humility. I'm starting my blog. It can look pretty second, as I start from scratch and learn things as I go. Think of it as my humble pill. 

What do you want to be perfect and miss out on as a result?


No comments:

Post a Comment